One of the most overlooked aspects of decorating a Phoenix home is lighting. While most homeowners think of paint, furniture, and art, not many will think carefully about lighting. But lights don’t just serve a practical use, they also add to the aesthetics of the space.
The three most common types of home lighting are listed below. Keep reading to learn the differences between each, as well as how they can work hand-in-hand to illuminate your home.
As the name suggests, task lights provide illumination for specific tasks such as:
- Working on a computer
They are often small light fixtures that provide a more concentrated light. Think of table lamps, lights for under cabinets and cupboards, garage lights, basically the lights that you need to help make a task simpler. Task lights can also stimulate your brain, with the contrasting light from these fixtures helping you to concentrate and stay alert.
There are various ways to integrate task lighting into your living spaces. You can use:
- Desk lamps for tables and shelves
- Swing arm light fixtures that you can attach to the edge of surfaces
- Floor lamps if you have a big floor space
- Under cabinet and vanity lights for bathrooms and kitchen counters. LED strips are a great option for these
- Pendants and light tracks for hallways and other long or wide spaces
General lighting for your home doesn’t just refer to one or two light bulbs placed randomly on the ceiling. To get the best lighting effect, your general light source/s must be strategically positioned to give an even distribution of light without creating a harsh glare.
In other words, your general lighting needs to look “natural” or ambient. The light should blend into the space to create a relaxed and welcoming environment. This can be achieved by using a number of light fixtures in one area.
You can create an ambient looking space using the following light fixtures:
- Recessed or track lights for elongated areas and long walkways
- Chandeliers and pendants, which also make great focal points for rooms
- Wall Sconces and wall lights that addlight to a space without making it too bright
Accent lights help draw people’s attention and serve as a focal point in a living space like the living room or kitchen. As such, these lights are an ideal way to add flair or drama to a room.When done right, accent lights not only add beauty to any room, they also fill out shadows and dark corners. You should use accent lights to illuminate artwork, wall washing, furniture, artwork, collections and bookcase displays, and any other details you’d want to stand out. Outdoor accent lights are perfect to highlight beautiful parts of your home’s architecture or landscaping.
The following lights are the best lights to use for accent lighting:
- Wall lights that you can place beside art pieces, shelves, or bookcases
- Recessed lighting and spot lightings for wall washing or when you want to illuminate entire walls
- Landscape lighting to make your outdoor spaces pop. LED bulbs are the best choice for outdoor lighting due to their great light quality and resistance to heat and cold
Remember these different lighting solutions the next time you purchase light fixtures for your Phoenix home. When in doubt, talk to a lighting or interior designer to get the best results.